2.04.2009

Thunderbirds Hanger!!

This past Monday night I was allowed to go inside the Thunderbirds hanger on Nellis A.F.B.

I was there to cover an Army Reserves Unit returning home from Iraq. I've done that tons of times, but I never thought I'd be in the hanger of the Thunderbirds. I was able to go right up to one of the jets and look at it....but not touch!!!

Not many people are allowed to be in this highly secured air force hanger. I'm surprised they had the return ceremony in it. I've been to Aviation Nation twice and they don't even allow people to go inside the hanger on those days.

You see that cool emblem on the floor. No one is allowed to touch it (except Thunderbird personnel). It is hand waxed twice a day. That's why the velvet ropes are around it. Well that didn't stop a little three year old girl running across it......twice! She was as bored as the rest of us.

The Army unit was suppose to land on base at around 7 p.m. Well they actually didn't show up until about 9:30. It doesn't matter how cool of a place you're located, standing around for two or more hours gets boring fast.

It wasn't all that bad though. They allowed us to go outside of the hanger for a little while to watch all the jets take off for night exercises. Four jets would take off at once right after each other. I'm talking seconds apart. And they would land just as quick. They were super loud too. With the afterburners glowing in the dark, the planes would streak across the runway, jump into the air and disappear out of sight in the matter of seconds.

A few months back a reporter at my station was allowed to go on a ride along with the Thunderbirds. He was able to pull 9 G's! He claimed he had to use two barf bags during the trip. I was extremely envious. I betting I can take 9 G's no problem!

1 comment:

  1. probably the coolest thing I got to do as a tv reporter was during the Air Show - I got to go up in a P-51 Mustang. I felt tiny in this little WWII era plane on the giant airport runway, but it was awesome - a sunny day, and we flew upside-down over Whitefish lake. Eric went up with the Blue Angels, didn't pass out, but almost did.

    ReplyDelete