6.17.2009

All These Things That I've Done....

Ok, so a lot has being going on, but like you would know any of that. Where have you been?
I know where I've been. Watching the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, that's where.

First, the other day I got my visitor's visa for my trip to Australia. This is quite exciting! I can hardly wait to go. I also found out something really cool about the visa. It is good for a year, and within that year I can go to Australia multiple times, each time I'm able to stay there for three months. So I believe that I will attempt to return to Australia a few times this year. That is of course if I don't just decide to stay there.

Second, for all YouTwitFaces out there, I've finally joined Twitter. Yes, yes, I'm one of those people now. I didn't really want to do it. I already have Myspace and Facebook. I don't even check the Myspace that often anymore. Do I really need another social networking website? I think NO. BUT..... a friend of mine has been trying to convince me to sign up and go tweet crazy. He kept saying that I am funny and I have entertaining observations. I kept telling him that I am only funny when I'm not trying to be. I can't be funny when I actually try. In the end I caved. So now you can look to your right and see a few of my tweets. Follow me....I guess. I don't see how my stupid remarks can be interesting. Who is going to read my Twitter? No one ever reads this shit! The rest of you, Go nuts!!!

That said, I've found out that my station views this as the future of media coverage. They are encouraging every employee to start their own YouTwitFace sites. They are even considering buying the all field crews new iPhones to do so. In the future we all will have to upload videos, pics, and tweets about all the breaking news. Hey, free iPhone! That's cool with me!

Third, in an effort to save as much money possible for my trip, I have been working a lot. It seems like between working all day, being on call, picking up still photography jobs, and watching the new Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien (DVR'd everynight), I never have any spare time. No hanging with friends. No baseball games. No bar stops. No working on the music. I haven't played with the "band" in a few months. So to curb this fun slump, I've been playing games at work, and I think my craziness is infecting others. Today my friend and KLAS reporter Amanda invented a brand new news based game. Lately we been having a lot of weird breaking news topics, and with only one nightside crew (due to personnel issues) to cover the topics, we needed a way to decide which topic to pick. So we invented what we've coined Weather, Government, Dead Baby.

It is much like Rock, Paper, Scissors, and I think this can be applied to every news market. It is well stated that most people tune into the news for the weather, so when unusual weather occurs it becomes the top story. This is unless there is a good political scandal (i.e. Senator's affair), people love to bitch about the failures of their elected officials. Then what trumps it all... a dead baby found in a dumpster. This can result in weeks and weeks of follow-up stories. Of course this can all be forgotten once a good hurricane or other natural disaster comes down the road. Best two out of three wins, and the cycle continues.

Damnit, I'm missing some of Conan being funny, and my cereal is soggy. I blame you!

3 comments:

  1. I still refuse to hop onto the Twitter train. I got rid of my Myspace account some months ago and have never looked back. Frankly, I'm addicted to Facebook, and that's all the fix I really need to be exposing myself to. If you're hooked on smack, do you really need to shoot up some crank and take a quick toke of dank in the same outing? I think not. I'm standing up to Twitter, and I'm sad to see that I seem to be standing alone.

    One way that we spice up work 'round these parts is with a "cat point" scale. You pet a cat while out on a story, it's worth one point. Pet a dog? Two points (three for a puppy). If the animal has a job, such as a police dog or a street performer's dog, it's worth an extra point. Various animals and scenarios can be worked out from there... Pet a monkey? 40 points, but if it holds your hand while you walk together, it's 45. A handful of reporters and photogs at our station text their scores to each other throughout the day. Sure there's a baby in the dumpster, but I pet 3 ally cats. What a day.

    And if you plan any further trips down under, let me know. I've been wanting to wander through that country for some years now. I spent a summer in New Zealand, but didn't get the chance to visit its sandy neighbor. Have a good adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inane. INANE!!! I hate twitter. Maybe I'll check out what you have to say Kash- but only because you do have funny insights from time to time. I'd rather just call you. I really hope the future of news broadcasting doesn't come from social networking jibberish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See Duff you can Twitter all about the ally cat petting! It would be purrfect!

    ReplyDelete